Thursday, April 25, 2013

~~ Galia Melon & Grapefruit Breakfast ~~






















I saw this interesting melon at the local Trader Joes here in town and I just couldn't pass it up. Not only did it look different, but it was on sale!! Tell me it's on sale, and I will most likely go for it. :)

This melon, called a Galia Melon looked like your typical cantelope, but it was more yellowish green in color. So I did a little research and this is what I found.

Excerpt from Melissa's Produce:
Originally developed by growers in Israel, Galia melons were the first hybrid of intensely perfumed Middle Eastern melons. The Galia melon looks like a cantaloupe on the outside and a honeydew on the inside. Its light green, smooth-textured flesh, offers a delicious, sweet flavor.

 Here in Texas, we like to eat our fruit sprinkled with a little fresh lime juice and chili salt, so that is what I did. Absolutely delicious!!! Very sweet and juicy and went well with the salty chili and lime.

Also, my parents brought back some incredible grapefruits from their vacation to Florida. Of course Florida is known for its citrus. I was never a big grapefruit fan growing up, but as you evolve so do your taste buds. I have learned that as I get older I have a further understanding and respect for the foods I did not enjoy as a kid. Food is fabulous and you should always try something before you decide you don't like it.

So I grabbed one of the heavier, softer grapefruits because it seemed like it was ripe and ready to be devoured. I sliced into it and the fragrant bitter citrus smell filled the kitchen. Juice was oozing out like crazy! I could not wait to eat it! David told me that he liked his grapefruit sprinkled with a little salt. I have never tried it, so that is what I did. WOWZER!!! I have to say that I am a new grapefruit fanatic!  I don't know if the local supermarket would have grapefruits this amazing, but I bet a Farmer's Market would.

Needless to say, I had a very good breakfast this morning and I am glad I still have half of the fruit leftover to eat tomorrow!

What kind of things do you like to eat for breakfast?
Or have you tried any interesting or different fruits? There are so many out there to try!

Peace.Love.Lauryn

No comments:

Post a Comment