Tuesday, June 4, 2013

~~Mango Chili Popsicles~~





Temperatures are rising quickly here in Texas and that only means one thing to me…. icy sweets!!! Whether its creamy cold ice cream or cool summer cocktails I want ALL of it!!!!

So here is my first of many popsicle recipes this summer!! I had two mangos stored in the fridge that I bought on a whim because they were on sale, and I had some leftover limes that I needed to use soon. So I thought, hey perfect time for some popsicle makin!

You will need:

  • 2 large or 4 small mangos 
  • 3 limes 
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp chili powder
  • a few shakes of cayenne pepper
  • chili salt (optional)
  1. Slice limes in half and squeeze out juice. Put juice and sugar into a small saucepan on medium high heat. Let it come to a simmer.
  2. Meanwhile cut mangos in half close to the seed. Slice the fruit of the mango lengthwise then cross wise like a checkerboard and turn inside out. Slice off fruit and squeeze the juice out of the pulp left on the skin.
  3. Dice the mango into little cubes reserve 1/4 cup of fruit and muddle or blend the rest of the fruit into a pulp like texture. 
  4. Add the mango, chili powder and cayenne to the saucepan and stir into the hot liquid. Take off the heat, add the reserved mango and let it cool to room temp. (You can speed up this process by putting it the fridge or freezer for 30 minutes or so). 

  5. Once cool, add the mixture to the popsicle molds and pop into the freezer for at least 4 hours or overnight if you want to be sure they are completely frozen. 
  6. Then just take them out by running under cool water for a minute or two, slide out of the mold and sprinkle with a little chili salt. (I made the mistake of sprinkling the chili salt on top of the popsicle before adding the sticks. I should of used the chili salt after the popsicles were frozen. Much better and less messy that way!)


So Yummy!!! Tangy and sweet with a little hint of heat. I love how smooth and soft these popsicles are too. The less water in a popsicle means smaller ice crystals which make for a softer popsicle.

The day after making these I came home after a long day at work and made myself a little margarita… ok a big margarita.  :)  One of the reasons I decided on a margarita was that I knew I had these mango chili popsicles in the freezer and I knew that it would be perfect for it! I should have lined the rim of the glass with lime and chili salt but I pretty much devoured the whole thing before I could even think about it!



Feel free to have fun with it. No popsicle molds is ok!! Use little paper cups, shot glasses or ice cube trays for the mold, and cut straws for the sticks. Make them into ice cubes for lemonade, iced tea or a special cocktail! Enjoy!

Peace.Love.Lauryn

No comments:

Post a Comment